Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Photo Journey Part Two: Guangzhou

Here are more photos from our China trip in Guangzhou:

Christy, anxiously awaiting the moment we meet Grace. We're sitting in the Registration Room of the Civil Affairs office until they bring the girls in.

Christy and Grace moments after leaving the Civil Affairs Office. Grace came to me just fine when it was time to go. Maybe it had a lot to do with that lollipop she was so happy to have.

PapPap and Gracelynn on her first morning with the Hollars. She is newly bathed and dressed and ready to go.

Christy, looking at the McDonald's menu before being waited on. :-) You could, of course, order at the registers. But with our big group, this was easier.

Okay... I SWEAR IT! Behind that awful reflection of a window blind, is the Olympic Torch! I waited and waited at that window, hearing the roaring chants outside the restaurant. Just when I caught a glimpse of the torch itself, I snapped the camera. Darn that reflection!!!

This is in a garden courtyard inside the Family Chen Temple. There were very intricate carvings along the roofline. This temple was built by the Chen Family as a way to record their history and preserve their heirlooms.
This is a group of middle-aged women playing something like Hacky Sack, only with a feathery shuttlecock. We bought a shuttlecock to bring home. We may have been "robbed" with the fee of 10 yuan... but that translates to $1.40 or so. Anyone wanna play?

This is the famerse Guangzhou guide Elvin. He is explaining the various dried herbs and creatures that the Chinese use in their foods to promote health. His wife is working on her MD and is specializing in acupuncture. When he mentioned that she gets this stuff free at the hospital, Mike decided he never wanted to visit the hospital.

This is a pedestrian street. It's like Times Square on acid. Lights, flatscreens, and thousands and thousands of people everywhere!!! The green umbrellas were a promotion for a new bottled green tea. We tried it (figuring I was beginning to like tea in China)... and I quickly decided green tea is NOT for me.

Mike bought me a beautiful bouquet of flowers on Mother's Day! Gorgeous! Here is Gracelynn and I on Mother's Day.This is one of my favorite local shopkeepers on Shamian Island, Jordon. His shop was easy to navigate... NO PRESSURE. Whew! Most places had no prices and people following you around, trying to get you to buy more than you intended. I hated that. Mr. Jordon is a Christian and was so easy-going. He made this beautiful sign for me with Gracelynn's name and some Chinese symbols on it. He also described her hometown to me, since we couldn't go. Needless to say, I bought a LOT here.

This is PapPap in front of Starbucks! I love Starbucks. The pricing was pretty comparable to back home. And the Caramel Macchiato was just as wonderful!

Here is Gracelynn on the Shamian Island Park's playground. She pretty much stayed in this position the entire time... had no desire to move or play. Just watched the others.

No comments: