Monday, July 21, 2008

Twins again

Didn't think it could happen again, but it did. One day last week I took all four kids to the mall by myself. (Crazy? Maybe.) I'd heard about a mega sale on summer stuff at Children's Place. Despite placing three online orders in the last month (for super great sales!), I still wanted to see what could be found in person. We found a handful of good deals... I was pleased. Reagan and Gracelynn will be set next summer. We also found a neat lunchbox for Gracelynn. I had already ordered her a pink and leopard spots nap mat from eBay... this lunchbox matched it. OCD me loved the fact that they matched. So, as we walked around the store, Grace carried it with her. We checked out. The lady behind the counter (who obviously couldn't see the kids) saw the double stroller and said, "Oh, are they twins?" What, do people just assume twins with a double stroller? How many moms of two or more have used double strollers? Again, I said no and probably embarrassed the poor lady when she saw who the kids were.

After paying, we started walking to the other side of the mall to Old Navy (and more sales) when Tommy asked for his new hat. As I was rifling through the bag, it dawned on me that we never checked out with the new lunchbox. I figured Gracelynn had dropped it in the store so I was about to just not worry about it and go back another time. But as I was looking in the bag, I mentioned that we never got the lunchbox. Reagan said, "Oh... it's in here..." and then proceeded to pull it out of the back of the stroller, where Grace hid it. Ok... teachable moment... moral lesson time.

We all marched back down the mall aisle and down the elevator and back into Children's Place to pay for the lunchbox. The lady was sweet and thanked me for returning. (How could I NOT return with four kids watching?)

Surprisingly, I remained calm and never lost my patience, even after shopping at a few more stores (and finding $5 sweaters at Old Navy!!) Four kids and me at the mall. Wow. I can really do this "mom of four kids" thing!!!


2 comments:

Difference2This1 said...

Please tell me when you unlock the secret to 4 kids at SuperWalmart! I am desperate! :) Jennifer in DE

Kristin Wolfe said...

I am so totally impressed by your trip to the mall!!!