Sunday, April 20, 2008

13 Days to go...

What a crazy month ahead of us, eh? Thirteen days till travel. I am going loco trying to remember what to do, what to pack, what to remember while we're in China, what to have ready for the house for when we leave, etc. Sometimes I think life would be much easier if we were bringing the three kids with us... and then sanity comes back and tells me it's much, much simpler to travel as just adults. Our gracious and wonderful parents (Christy's mom Pat and Mike's parents Sylvia and Dave) are watching Ben, Reagan and Tommy while we are gone. They'll help to keep life routine and as normal as can be for the kids. But, I think I am writing a full book on life here. Morning and Bedtime routines, sports schedules, school schedules, foods the kids like, which neighbors to call, teachers' names, how to work the new washer/dryer, how to use our computer, how to switch the TV from cable to DVD, how to operate the Wii, how to make Tommy follow directions, where the "extras" are stored, etc., etc. I think my final book will be long enough to publish. Doubt there would be any buyers, though.

An adoptive friend from church just called to tell me that had we been traveling two days earlier, we each could've saved $600 on flights! Geesh. That could've given us the money to pay for hotel rooms in Beijing to sightsee some more. Oh well. With Dad's and Mike's work schedules, we couldn't have really afforded to go for 2 extra days. Bummer. Guess we'll just squeeze in all of our sightseeing in one long, long day. :-)

I read about other adoptions daily it seems. Trying to soak in everything I can about what to expect (or what could POSSIBLY be expected). Every adoption, every child is different. A recent blog had me in tears. Despite the daughter's grieving process and dislike for her new mom, she eventually adapted well and is a spunky little girl 2 months later. It really made me think though about what will be going through Gracelynn's head soon. Poor thing will be dropped off with 3 English-speaking strangers who take her shopping, back to a hotel, visiting doctors, etc. All of which will be entirely new and strange to her. At some point, whether it's instantaneously or a week later, she'll realize all of the things she's leaving behind. Her orphanage, her caretakers, her friends, her routines, her responsibilities, eventually her language (especially since it's probably Cantonese or maybe even Hakka, which we don't know at all!)... essentially life as she knows it. It's a process she'll have to go through, but I know it will kill us to watch her grieve. Please be saying prayers for little Gracelynn. Her world is about to go topsy-turvy. It breaks my heart to know this too. I know deep-down that we can offer her a much better future here with us than she would receive in her Chinese orphanage, but I can't deny I'll be crushed to see her grieve.

I need to go back through these travel blogs and make notes on which shops to visit, what to buy, etc. I think we'll be paying big bucks for our overweight luggage! 44 pounds. Geesh. I weighed our medicine/toiletry/makeup bags the over day. Those alone weigh 8 pounds. That's without suitcase weight or clothes. I think we may have decided to just forget the concern and take what we think we'll need or want. I've learned of other families that bring extra bags simply full of supplies for orphanages. Maybe we'll do that. Pack a third suitcase with the toys for Grace, including things for the orphanage. When we return, that empty space will be filled with souvenirs instead! So many things are running through my mind regarding papers and legal stuff... it's so hard to believe that in one month, it'll all be history and we'll be starting anew with our larger 6-person family.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also have been reading a lot about how adopted children have to go through a period of grief. It does sound like it will be heart breaking to see your child go through a grieving process and know that you cannot protect her from it. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I know that is what I am doing. You are in our prayers.

Good luck with your packing! I have read One Bag - traveling light (http://www.onebag.com/) and am determined to take one carry-on bag with my stuff. The list of stuff to take for our child and the orphanage and gifts (etc.) is a whole other story... ugh!